Tuesday 8 May 2018

How can I mount a read-only filesystem as read-write in redhat linux

This post is related to the below issue which you have faced in Red Hat Linux 5/6 operating system.

Issue :
 
➤ One of my partition has been mounted as read-only. How can I make it read-write without rebooting?

➤ How can I remount the root filesystem as read-write after it goes read-only?

➤ My filesystem went read-only, can I remount without rebooting? / filesystem suddenly became read only, unable to write to files.

➤ Also if you are trying to create any file or directory inside the file system you would get the message- "Read only file system"

 [root@localhost]# touch test
touch: cannot touch `test': Read-only file system

 [root@localhost]# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 ro,data=ordered 0 0

Solution:

Mount an already mounted file system in read-write option, Please run the below command.

 [root@localhost]# mount -o remount,rw <filesystem_path>

Remounting as read-write may work, however, if the file system remounts as read-only again, a filesystem check and reboot of the system will be required.

No comments:

Post a Comment